Thursday, April 29, 2010

Spring cleaning

The last week had me up ladders, in trees, and under the house getting things ready for summer. It never fails, right when you think things are in order something shows up that needs attention. Right now it is the windows. The seals are broken and the fog is fixed.

Of course foggy windows had me begin thinking about chocolate. The first few times I tried to temper chocolate resulted in foggy ugly looking instantly melting chocolate. I had imagined a beautiful truffle, or caramel, or bar. A dark glossy smooth result that would shine in my eyes like the brightest star. But Blah! Over and over again I could not produce the result I wanted. I read books, got a small tempering pot (that seriously over cooked the chocolate), all to no luck - well maybe a hit one in a thousand. I felt like Charlie Brown flying a kite.

The windows need replacing. There is no question about that. So beautiful chocolate is what my nerves need when thinking about the upcoming cost. In my kitchen there is a large tub filled with Traveler's chocolate. On this day I did nothing to it. I grabbed a spoon and scooped. I placed the chocolate powder in my mouth and let it sit there as my palate moistened. The chocolate began to melt and dissolve, it was like imagining the fog lifting from the windows and sunlight, bright and crisp, shining through.

Just what I needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment