Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Memory of Mom

Years ago I attempted to bake my mother a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting from scratch. I vividly remember measuring everything and mixing it all up by hand. In the oven went the cake. While the cake was baking I made the frosting. Once the sugar was added to the cocoa powder I began sampling. The flavor had to be just right. This was my very first attempt at a gourmet cake. My mother was and is a master in the kitchen. Her kitchen talent grew every year and I wanted to be like her and share that gift.

When the cake finished I put the bottom layer on the plate. Then I put a layer of frosting. The top layer of cake next and as I was trying to complete the frosting the top cake layer kept sliding all over. Unfortunately, when you try to frost a cake fresh out of the oven the frosting melts like crazy and soon I had a chocolate blob.

Just as I thought I'd throw this attempt in the garbage my mom walked in. She tasted my cake with attention and care one would give the finest foods. We both laughed and have never forgotten the mudslide cake.

Yesterday, I realized I'd given out directions for a Traveler's Brownie. Then last night remembered I'd forgotten a few key ingredients. So I made the recipe as it was and the result made me smile. Considering the Mudslide was a two layer cake and this was supposed to be brownies we'll call it Lava.

I do not even know where to begin on it's flavor or texture. First imagine warm chocolate. The base it is thick almost like a custard, it is dark like a midnight sky and the warm soft chocolate pieces highlight the depth like the stars.

1 1/2 cups Traveler's
1/3 cup water
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 Tbsp butter
350 degree oven
spread in greased 8x8 pan
Bake17 minutes
Eat while warm and smile!!! YUMMMY

No comments:

Post a Comment