Sunday, April 11, 2010

Food Show Down

Yesterday after our visit to Columbia Crest I took my boys home and ran to the auto repair to get my breaks and rotors done.

Making small talk to the men beside me our conversation went to food. The Food Network was on the television mounted high on the wall. The show playing was a food showdown. Shrimp and grits. We were all drooling within 10 minutes. Then a showdown for fried chicken came on and again my tummy grumbled with desire.

After paying for the car I drove to the grocery store where I picked up "fresh" chicken and grits. At home I made my own flour for the chicken, I used Jonny's Dock seasoning, paprika, and a touch of baking soda. I rinsed, dried, then rested the chicken in half and half for several minutes the coated the chicken in the fours mixture and fried it (each side for 8 minutes) then I placed it in a 400 degree oven for a few more.

I made the grits with cream and Jack cheese with a little chicken stock I had in the fridge.

That definitely hit the spot.

Today for lunch I pulled the grits from yesterday out and thought Traveler's. I took the Spicy Traveler's from the shelf and put about a 1/2 tablespoon on top of about a 1/2 cup of the grits and reheated them in the microwave for about 45 seconds, mixed it all up, closed my eyes, smelled them, took a spoon and placed some of the spicy chocolate cheese grits in my mouth.

I prepared to be instantly sick, but on the contrary, they were good. It was creamy, sweet from the corn and spicy from the peppers, and it was good!

No comments:

Post a Comment