Tuesday, May 18, 2010

A chocolate angel

Rain awoke me this morning; its patter on the rock pathway outside my window, the sound of droplets adding their touch to the river at the end of the path. I just stayed in bed looking out the window watching the leaves bend with the weight of water just before the water falls off to hit the leaf below making its way to the ground in a practiced pattern. I eventually rolled out of bed and tied my robe as I made my way to wake my son for school. Rainy days have a way of bring a sense of peace throughout the house. The air feels clean and fresh and quiet. Entering my son's room and golden ray touched the pillow next to the little boy snuggled beneath his white down comforter. My heart lifted as we shared a silent moment together. Just as I reached out to rub his back in an attenpt to wake him up, my eyes caught a note which read:
"If I don't wake up pour a cup of cold water on me."

There is a little mischief inside every angel.

MINI CHOCOLATE CHIP ANGEL CAKES
11 egg whites, 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons cake flour, 1 1/2 cups sugar, 1 1/4 tsp cream of tartar, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp vanilla, 4 ounces chocolate buttons (ground), 1 cup confectioners' sugar, 2 tbsp milk, Place egg whites in a large mixing bowl and allow to stand at room temperature 30 to 60 minutes. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line regular size muffin tins with paper bake cups.Sift together flour and 1/2 cup sugar three times; set aside. Beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar and salt. Beat until soft peaks form. Add vanilla. Add remaining sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, to egg white mixture, beating well after each addition. Beat until glossy, stiff peaks form. Fold flour mixture into egg white mixture 1/2 cup at a time. Fold in chocolate chips.Place about 1/3 cup batter into each paper cup. Bake 15 to 17 minutes or until light brown and cakes spring back when lightly touched. Remove to wire rack immediately to cool.Whisk together confectioners' sugar and milk until smooth. Brush onto cakes. Let stand at room temperature until set.

No comments:

Post a Comment